Founded in 2009, Institutional Mortgage Capital (IMC) is an independently owned commercial mortgage lender, loan servicer and investment fund manager, focusing on Canadian real estate debt and equity markets, with over $1.9 billion (and counting) of new commercial mortgage loans closed since 2011.
Experience, Leadership and Proven Ability
IMC’s founding partners and senior management team (John Ho, Robert Fitzpatrick, Christopher Kane, Paul Scholz and Darren Schmidt) have extensive real estate expertise and experience in both Canada and the United States. The IMC team has worked together since 1997, when they brought a new Canadian mortgage lending business model to Canada and quickly became one of the country's largest commercial mortgage lenders.
Leaders in Canadian Commercial Real Estate
The IMC team is a recognized leader in the Canadian commercial mortgage and structured finance industry, including commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS). Over the years, the IMC team has:
- Made over 1,100 new commercial mortgage loans in Canada, across all asset types, with a total dollar value exceeding $10.4 billion
- Created and dominated the Canadian CMBS market, securitizing nearly $9.2 billion of Canadian mortgage loans over 30 new CMBS issuances and enjoying a 43% market share
- Introduced a number of new and innovative products and practices to the Canadian commercial mortgage lending program that have become standard and well-established market practices today
- Has established 9 investment funds dedicated to other Canadian mortgage loan products, including CMBS conventional mortgage loans
- Restarted the Canadian CMBS market in February 2011, and has been a regular Canadian CMBS issuer ever since
Through its affiliate IMS, IMC has also become one of the largest independent commercial mortgage loan servicers in Canada. In all areas of its business, IMC continues to bring new and innovative ideas to its mortgage loan borrowers, investors and core markets.